Contact Sheet

Resolution (dpi)

For the first row of the contact sheet, I began with a 1200 dpi image. I had to change the image size from the Image menu. After clicking this, a window popped up that shows the height, width and dpi of the image. For this row, I changed the dpi from 1200 to 600. The next image, I changed it from 600 to 300, and the same with the last image from 300 to 72 dpi. Sometimes the image did not fit properly into the contact sheet so we had to right click the image and format the height and width.

Format/Mode

The second row of the contact sheet changes the colors in the image. I began with a very colorful picture of a pinwheel and dragged that image into Photoshop. The first image was in Color RGB mode. To change the image for the next section, click Mode from the Image dropdown menu. I changed the next image to CMYK. The third image I changed to Grayscale mode. For DuoTone, it was much different. I had to first save the image as a PDF because it would not work as a regular JPEG. To be able to change it to DuoTone mode, I had to first change it to Grayscale.

Orientation

In this row, I used the cropping tool in various ways to alter an image from portrait to landscape, and to square. To crop the image, I had to use the cropping tool and drag it all the way from the top of the image, to the bottom. I had to type in the height and width ratios, which helps prevent distortion. We had to make sure that when we changed the height or width of an image, we unselected the “resample size” option.

Framing

In the framing row of the contact sheet, I took an image and zoomed into faraway objects. I also used the crop tool in this row. The difference in this row is that we use the crop tool starting in the middle of the image and we do not drag it all the way to the bottom. This helps to zoom in on a specific object, perhaps in the background of an image.

Content

In this row of the contact sheet, I also zoomed in on the scene so that it became unrecognizable. I began with a pyramid. As you moved down the row, you can see the building blocks of the pyramid. By the end of the row, all you can see is the abstract version of a square.

Filter

In this section, we began with an image of ourselves, or another person, and used different filters. When a filter is applied to the image, it adds a certain effect. The Journalistic effect looked like a photograph from newspaper. The Mosaic tiles turned my face into many pieces. Pointillism turned the image into hundreds of tiny dots. The charcoal effect makes it look as though the photo was drawn with a piece of charcoal.

Font Poem

I chose this specific quote because it comes from my favorite Billy Joel song called the “River of Dreams.” I am somewhat of a “daddy’s girl” at heart, and ever since I was little, I always loved listening to Billy Joel’s music with my father. Not only do I love listening to his music, but Billy Joel has also helped strengthen the bond between me and my dad.

I chose different fonts for each of the words in my font poem based on the meanings of the words themselves. For example, the first word we’re is not completely significant, in my opinion, to the entire quote. Thus, I kept it in a generic, regular font of Goudy Heavyface. I did warp the word a bit with a lower arch and gave it the stroke effect for slight emphasis over the less significant words. The next word all was more important. I used the font Zipedy Do and made the letters all capital. This helped emphasize the effect of the word that Billy Joel is talking about ALL of us. For the word carried, in the font Organica, I used a drop shadow, an inner glow, and a stroke effect. I also warped the text with the flag effect; this gives it the effect of “being carried.” Along was used in the Motter Corpus font, with the letters spaced out to give the “moving along” effect. The word river is also very important to the lyrics. I put this specific word in the font Flood with the bevel and emboss effects with a wave warp to further give it a water-like emphasis.  For the word middle, I used the font Neuland LT and used a gradient overlay with a drop shadow, an outer glow, and stroke. I made it very large, in all capital letters, and emphasized the word to convey its meaning “in the MIDDLE of the night.” The word night is typed vertically down, in the middle of the page. The font Moonglow, in black with an outer glow shows nighttime: The dark night sky with a glow of the stars. The word middle is somewhat the center of attention, which is why the words are somewhat centered in the middle of the page.

The background was somewhat tricky. It took me a while to figure out how to use the paint bucket to fill in the background with a blue-ish color. This was to simulate a river. I also figured out how to use the sponge tool to create the swirl in the background.

The only issues I found while doing this project were trying to figure out exactly how to position the layers without making it look too cluttered. The colors of the word were also tricky as the font poem looks different on the computer screen than on the big screen.

If I had more time, I would have manipulated every single word to help convey their meanings. For example, although I explained above that I did not find the word we’re to be particularly significant, it would have been fun to figure out another way to represent it.

Of the whole font poem, I am most proud of the way the phrase “river of dreams” looks. I warped the words to make the phrase flow like a river.